“Take action on the world in order to transform it”- Pedagogy of the Oppressed

I found this quote late last year and it has stuck with me and possibly epitomizes one of my main reasons for choosing to follow the path that has led me to attending IE for a Masters in International Management. My desire to study further, my involvement in development agencies and student leadership at the University of Cape Town has all given me hope for the future leaders the world is producing. I am incredibly proud to be one of “Madiba’s Children.” I am a part of the class that started school in the same year that Nelson Mandela took up his presidency of South Africa and have been afforded opportunities that my parents could only dream of. The greatest advantage that I have as a student today is still the unwavering belief that I can do anything I set my mind to. By being a student at the University of Cape Town, I was part of an advantaged few in my young country. It is therefore important that I use this advantage wisely and to the contribution to of the communities that surround me, not only immediately but also globally as the leading university on the African continent. I want to make a difference in lives of other South Africans in some way. 

I have been involved in the largest student-run NPO in the southern hemisphere on senior leadership level; chaired a committee of students that aimed for open communication between the university, and the various development agencies on campus; and was vice-chair of the first student chapter of engineers without borders. My involvement has been guided by my belief that volunteerism and social responsibility, if guided correctly can be an immensely powerful driving force. It is something I feel that I should be a part of because of the opportunities that I have been afforded. The recognition in the form of nominations for Best Student Leader in Community Service has been an immense honour and I hope that my attitude does not change as I get older and enter the workforce. 

In attending IE, I hope to one day return to South Africa and use the lessons I have learnt to make a difference in the way that people perceive South Africa, do business with South Africans and the way that South Africans respond to the rest of the world. I am 23 years old and  have the world at my fingertips, if I only reach out and grab it! I am excited for the coming year and the experiences, knowledge and opportunities that will launch from this knick point in my life. IE’s ethos of global awareness, entrepreneurship, innovation and social responsibility added to the appeal of the school for me. I am proud to be part of the class of 2013 – representing myself, my family, and my country in this global forum.