Sara García Tejedo

Strategic Partner Manager at YouTube (Google)

2015 Master in Management Graduate

What was the main reason you decided to study at IE?

After studying law at a public university in Spain, I was confused and unsure what to do next. Law didn’t excite me that much any longer and I really wanted to try and start a business myself at some point. I did tons of research and came across IE, which presented a great offering of subjects that I wasn’t familiar with yet and could help me gather further insights of the business ecosystem. I thought it would also be a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world and so it was!

What was the greatest challenge you faced during your studies?

During the MIM, I was also part of the Venture Lab and its Area 31 program. My biggest challenge was to juggle both sides of the equation, I was attending classes during the day, working on our project during the evenings and working part time on the weekends! It always felt days were not long enough!

What has been the primary lesson you learned during your program?

Those who have read me on other posts, articles or have listened to me at any of my talks might have heard this before, my biggest learning was without any doubt: the value of people! I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to nurture the relationships you will make during your masters. Most of them I’ve encountered multiple times throughout my career. People’s will, perceptions and decisions are what moves the world, so be nice and kind, you never know who you’ll encounter along the way.

How has this program impacted your life?

My master year impacted my life in so many different ways. Again, the people I met are still present in my day to day, both professionally and personally. Furthermore, the mind set, moving away from the rigid educational system in Spain and being exposed to so much team work, presentations and public speaking did indeed change my life. I was able to develop skills that I didn’t know I could even get good at!

What was the best memory you have from the program?

There’s tons of memories I keep from my MIM year in Madrid, hard to highlight one of them. However, the friends I made, all those nights out, days in studying and those crazy trips (Domenican Republic wink wink ;)) will always prevail in my memory as one of the most exciting times of my life!